Monday, November 28, 2011

Man that school sometimes

I get so annoyed by the school system. My son is in 8th grade and little things that go on at the school just make me want to write notes and show them what they are doing incorrectly...for example:

Tonight he brings home a paper for me to sign. He received it today. It's a notice stating that the way they do math is changing. Basically he will be watching math videos at home, taking notes, and then they will do the assignments in class. My issues:

1. Huh?!? Teaching is to happen at school and homework is assigned for home. However, I get it. It can help accelerate the students who are proficient at math and if they so want to they can continue ahead and get the work done in class and the teacher can focus on those not so proficient in math.

2. My biggest issue is this though: I get notified that the school is changing its teaching policy with a note asking me to sign it the same day they change it. I asked my son when they were going to implement this program and he said he was already assigned the videos to watch tonight...I DIDN'T EVEN SIGN IT YET - How do they know that I am in agreement with this? They don't. Don't make assumptions about the parents just accepting your changes.

My son and I have a deal though. I tell him why I have issues with the things his school sends me and then I ask him if I can respond with a note letting them know how the way they handled this is wrong. He tells me if it is okay to let them know or to just drop it. He asked me to drop it on this one...urrrggg. I will but I had to rant somewhere.

No comments: